The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Brit a Day [#70]

This is for Thursday. I'm laid up with a sprained ankle, so I might as well put the time to good use. The middle picture is from the show 'Lost', when Desmond meets Jack for the first time and tapes his ankle. Lucky Jack. Lucky ankle.

Desmond from 'Lost' is one of my epic crushes. The character more than the actor--even though Henry Ian Cusick, who plays Desmond, is adorable, lovely and incomparable--it's just that Desmond is that good. Sigh. Here's the thing--Desmond doesn't get to be happy very often. So a picture [bottom one] of Desmond happy makes me happy. I have pictures of dear Desmond with a bigger smile, but in this case he seems honestly...content.

Here's the other thing--Desmond has implied that he wanted to be/almost became a doctor. But he didn't. We don't know why that turned out to be the case. But what could be sexier than a guy who wanted to be a doctor and then was robbed of his dreams by some unexplained tragedy? It's the Holy Grail of fantasy men. The possibility that you could be the woman who rescues him from this mysterious obstacle is tantalizing beyond comprehension. You are his rock, you provide the emotional support that allows him to overcome his self-doubt. Then you get to hook up with a doctor [speaking of Holy Grails--at least from my mother's generation's POV].

The top picture, then? It's Desmond, happy, almost a doctor. Sigh.

No comments: