The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Brit a Day [#100]

This picture is pretty small, which is a shame, but it does get a point across. Even at this distance, the cut of Alan Rickman's suit is clearly shown to be impeccable. I saw this production of 'Private Lives' on Broadway with my own star-filled eyes, and there was a point at which Rickman stands on that balcony with his back to the audience for quite a time. From the shoulders down to the waist, from the hips, somewhat narrower that the shoulders, up to the waist, his frame was two perfectly interesecting triangles. You can see it here. Good Tailoring = Sex on 2 Legs. The designer who costumed the show said something along the lines of "You could put Alan Rickman in a plastic trash bag, and if it was tailored properly, he'd look spectacular." Amen. All hail Saville Row.

To commemorate the 100th Brit a Day, the cast will be dressed to the nines this week--or at least dressed as well as I would like them to be. It is my blog, after all.

No comments: