The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Brit a Day [#148]

The time between last week's Anime Expo and the Comic Con will pass quickly as we enjoy the only sporting event I am rabid about, The Tour de France. I can't explain it, but somehow the fever overtakes me every July no matter how hard I try to resist it. [Actually, I don't try very hard.]

I'm going to devote the posts for the next week or so to British Cyclists, a relative rarity among the athletes at the Tour. Here, above, is my all-time favorite contestant, Mark Cavendish, winning Stage 5 of the 2008 Tour de France. By last summer, he was being called The Fastest Man on the Planet. His stage wins have made for spectacular viewing, part of the reason, along with dear Phil Liggett's race commentary, why I am hooked. At just 25, I'm sure there is a lot more spectacle to come from him.

And besides, Cavendish is Manx! Which sounds really cool. [It means he comes from the Isle of Man, which also sounds cool.]

Wearing a helmet is also very, very cool. See below. The stick-figure-man knows.

No comments: