The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Friday, December 31, 2010

A Brit a Day [#312]

Eddie Argos in the bakery, perhaps purchasing breakfast.

I saw 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' last night on TV. [hyperbole coming up...] I'm a hundred years old but I'd never seen it before. I cried a bit over the cat being put out in the rain rather than over a girl marrying an old guy just shy of her 14th birthday, a plot point that mirrors the story of my own grandmother. Two of my fifty-ish girl pals told me today that they've never seen it, which surprised me. Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly is such an icon of our girlhoods. Truman Capote as a socialite, more so than as an author, is such an icon of my Merv Griffin/Mike Douglas childhood. People my age probably expect the George Peppard character to turn out being gay. Was Capote ever a kept man struggling with his sexuality? Did my grandmother ever think of running away from the family she wrought at 14 to reinvent herself in a new town?

I ate my breakfast in a rush at the kitchen counter this morning. Fortunes from cookies from last nights take-out Chinese were still on the counter. One of them says 'sometimes adversity is as needed as medicine.' Happy new year everyone. Reflect, cry a little, and then move on.

No comments: