The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Brit a Day [#328]

The visiting Abbey Theater of Ireland has set up its own snow-piled ice palace at this outpost of the Brooklyn Academy of Music, a thaw-proof production of “John Gabriel Borkman,” Ibsen’s penultimate play and a work described by no less an authority than Edvard Munch, the painter who gave us “The Scream,” as “the most powerful winter landscape in Scandinavian art.”

I'm quoting here from the New York Times review of the play that Alan Rickman is currently starring in. If you'd like to read the full review, you can get to it here:

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/01/14/theater/reviews/14john.html

The photo I've posted is from the earlier production. I gather from the photo posted with the NYT review that the set design has changed for the new edition at BAM.

No comments: