The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Brit a Day [#348]

I admire Randee St. Nicholas's new photographs of Henry Ian Cusick not only for their beauty [oh, yes, beauty..] but for their style. Is it her style, his style? What makes these pictures so evocative is that there is a seamless blend of artist and subject.

I love the hoody within a hoody within the leather jacket. That's a brave choice; I know I couldn't pull it off. And it immediately makes me think of Kevin Smith's movie "Dogma" in which the angels all wore hoodies. It was sort of their dress code. Alan Rickman was the angel known as the Voice of God, a bit of brilliant casting if there ever was one.

But then Kevin Smith freely admits that he derived the hoody idea from Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire." In "Wings of Desire," the angels wore full overcoats and cashmere scarves. The look is timeless and yet the story is firmly set in the time it was made, the 1980's.


No comments: