The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Brit a Day [#402]

This is currently my favorite picture of Henry Ian Cusick. It's about a year old--it was taken at the LOST Live event at UCLA that preceded the end of the final season. A small printed copy of this picture is marking my place in the book I'm now reading, Kurt Vonnegut's "Welcome to the Monkey House.'' It's a book of short stories mostly written in the 1960's.

Vonnegut, ever the philosopher, makes us question who and what we are aside from our physical being. One of the protagonists lives in a future where bodies are just seen as a nuisance. People can live separately from their bodies, bodies are completely interchangeable, and in fact only the finest bodies have been kept, warehoused like formal wear for occasional rental.

In that case, the body pictured above would definitely be a keeper.

No comments: