The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Brit a Day [#498]


I'm currently reading 'Around the World in 80 Days' by Jules Verne. Verne's visions and sensibilities have been such an inspiration to me as a designer in the past [not to mention the whole steampunk movement], I thought it was time that I absorb some of lessons first hand. His name and legacy have recently come up when I was reading 'Valhalla Rising' by Clive Cussler.

With this description of Fogg, I present an image of Henry Ian Cusick, stolen from the Darwin bio-pic he did a few years ago.--

He appeared to be a man about forty years of age, with fine, handsome features, and a tall, well-shaped figure; his hair and whiskers were light, his forehead compact and unwrinkled, his face rather pale, his teeth magnificent. His countenance possessed in the highest degree what physiognomists call "repose in action," a quality of those who act rather than talk.

No comments: