The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Brit a Day [#504]

I still have plenty of great pictures of Alex Turner to share, but there's a matter which must be addressed in his absence today. My daughter and her friends have become quite enamored of Robert Downey Jr's recent portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. I admit that I didn't see the first film, but I've seen its trailer and the trailer for the sequel, and it seems to me that his Holmes is all obvious sexiness and slightly broad humor. Fine, but whatever happened to Victorian Repression? Isn't that what made Jeremy Brett's Holmes so oozy with sensuality, irony and intellect? The fact that it all had to be so strictly contained? I shake my head at the loss of subtlety. I'm going to have to sit those girls down in front of the television and show them how a real man plays Sherlock Holmes.

No comments: