The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Brit a Day [#599]


In the back row of this shot:  Eddie Argos, left; Chris Chinchilla, right.

Eddie recalls in his blog recently how Art Brut got some initial face time with the public when they decided to go to one of Pete Doherty's guerilla gigs back in the day--

Anyway Pete turned up broke a string in the first song and then ran away, leaving an angry mob of people shouting for more. The support band wouldn't play another set for some reason. So the promoters asked if anyone in the room was in a band. Art Brut had only played maybe one show perhaps two by then and we weren't even all at the show but my brother immediately put his hand up and said yes we're a band. So Me, Chris, Mickey and My Brother all climbed onto the stage and improvised some songs. We played Modern Art, Bang Bang Rock And Roll (I think for the first time) an amazing Ciccone song called 'Last Tube Home' and a cover of Teenage Kicks.

I like that according to the Half Man Half Biscuit song Asparagus Next Left by playing a Guerrilla Gig in the middle of another groups Guerilla Gig I have played the ultimate Guerrilla Gig.


And yes, there is a video--here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y2qR-hcJYu4#!

No comments: