The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Brit a Day [#832]

Stage 18 saw the all-but-forgotten Manx Missile fire up the afterburners and remind us why he's in the rainbow jersey--this is from BBC Sport http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18928411 

Mark Cavendish stormed to his 22nd Tour de France stage win as Bradley Wiggins remained on course for overall victory....the world champion claimed his second victory of this year's Tour on stage 18 as the peloton caught an escape group inside the final 1.5km.


Cavendish powered away in the final 500m to draw level with Lance Armstrong and Andre Darrigade in all-time wins.


"I just knew I was going to go for it," said the 27-year-old. "I have done nothing all Tour so I have saved so much energy.


"I knew I would be able to go from a long way out, and no-one would get past me today. I felt really good.


"It would have been easy for the guys to cruise into Paris and Sean [Yates, Team Sky's sporting director] was saying 'just take it easy' but I was pleading for a chance in the team meeting.


"But then Brad [Wiggins] said 'we are going to ride today' and Froomie [Chris Froome] committed to my cause and I'll always be grateful for that. We have got a great group of guys. It has been an emotional three weeks but I have enjoyed it."


The Tour de France ends tomorrow, but the Olympic cycling road race is a week from today.  Can't wait.

No comments: