The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Brit a Day [#864]

I've been reading Albert Speer's lengthy autobiography "Inside the Third Reich."  One thing that makes the book tolerable [I'm not a big fan of books by crooks] is that Speer is no apologist--he may not have been a sycophant to the extent of some of the others in Hitler's entourage, but he freely admits that he allowed himself to be an idiot disposed by denial and wishful thinking.  At least that's what I'm hearing.

But getting beyond that, I must say that the book is fascinating, and my jaw is sore from all the dropping at the extent of Hitler's megalomania.  Um, really, people around the Fuehrer, did you not notice what was going on?  Could you not see that it would end badly?  Does it really take the hindsight of a time lord to do that?

No comments: