The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Friday, February 8, 2013

A Brit a Day [#1008]



I just finished reading "Cop Hater," the opening novel of the 87th Precinct series, Ed McBain's homage to 'Dragnet' that virtually created the police procedural genre.  Begun in the 1950's, "Cop Hater" is the first of a whopping 55 books in the series.  And McBain was only one of a handful of pen names for the author Evan Hunter, and author so prolific he could apparently dash off a novel if he got caught at a red light.

Tom-Hiddleston-as-Freddie-Page suits McBain's description of lead detective Steve Carella to a T.  But "Cop Hater" isn't all sticks and stones and blood-sticky sidewalks--Carella's proposal to his girlfriend is the sweetest I've ever read.  I could, of course, hear it in Tom Hiddleston's voice as I read it.

No comments: